Many prefer the convenience of wired headsets. The setup is simple. It’s switched on and off. However, connecting a single-jack headset to a computer with specific audio output and input ports can cause the headset to stop working correctly.
A splitter can solve this issue, but you don’t have one or don’t want to shell out the extra cash to buy one.
There are several solutions to try. Today, we’ll examine the best way to use the single jack headset with a splitter in a computer.
What is a single-jack headset?
Before you can understand the procedure, here are some essential facts concerning the headset. A headset jack that houses all the parts of a headset’s connector. It’s at which all the wires that connect to your headset join so they can send audio data.
A single jack headset has just one port. It is the only point where audio signals are transmitted and received. To comprehend, think of it as a single jack that functions for both the receiver and microphone.
Single headphone jack VS double headphone jacks
You are likely to see two different types of headphones, Jacks. They’re either single jack or double. It’s easy to see that the headset with a single jack has only one port to send and receive audio data if you have double jacks, a dock for your microphone, and a separate jack for the headsets and speakers.
Other than these two options, you can categorize headphone jacks based on size. There are various dimensions of headphone jacks. For instance, 2.5mm connector, 3.5mm connector, 4.4mm connector, 6.35mm connector. Of them, 3.5mm is the most frequently used connector for headphones around the globe.
It’s not over. There’s another class for differentiating headphones connectors. Have you ever noticed a black ring on your headphone port? Do you think it’s just for design, or does it serve a purpose? It has an objective and is a significant one.
The details of the subject could cause a lot of confusion and even more for the user, so I’ll simplify the process. Four different types of headphone jacks are based on conductor plugs. They are referred to as TS, TRS, TRRS, and TRRRS. It is an e, the s is for sleeves, and the r is for the word ring.
In the case of TS one, it’s just one tip and a sleeve since the sound you hear on the tip is loud. One carries the signal while the other serves as the return pathway.
TRS is one of the widely utilized jacks. It comes with the tip, a sleeve, and a ring. The extra conductor could be used as a microphone during the making process of the headset. It’s a single-jack headset with an audio microphone that you are likely to hear.
TRRS is equipped with one tip and one sleeve with two rings. The two additional conductors allow this unit to work in stereo. One conductor is used on the left channel one is on both channels. In modern phones and headsets, it is a standard configuration for plugs.
Finally, TRRRS has one tip of one sleeve and three rings. This allows this model to have the capability of having a well-balanced stereo signal. It is possible to observe the usage of this on XLR cables. The headphones are uncommon using this plug.
Let’s now get to the issue of utilizing single jack headphones with PCs without splitters.
Can You Use a Single Jack Headphone With Your PC Without a Splitter?
In the past, headsets have evolved towards using a single, dual-purpose jack in place of two separate ports to serve both output and input.
Older computers generally have separate ports for input and audio since headsets of the past generally had two different ports. It was what was practical in the day.
When using a computer with distinct ports for audio and input, you need to use the splitter to get the maximum benefit of the single-jack headset.
If you don’t have a splitter ready, it might be possible to use your headset without one and still have headphones and microphones.
Why Headsets With a Mic With One Jack Are More Popular?
Headphones that have a microphone with just one jack could be an excellent option for gamers. Our experts suggest that the ability to communicate with your friends or fellow gamers by using an electronic keyboard during a heated gaming session could be difficult for players. In addition, the microphone of a laptop/PC isn’t always equipped to record the gamer’s voice clearly and transmit it to the next person (the microphone could end up capturing the external environment
Noises/sounds). It is here that the requirement for a headset that has an audio jack that has only one is a factor.
Wireless over-the-ears with an audio jack with only one mic could be the ideal choice for gamers. They’re well-equipped to create a harmonious balance between the sound of gaming and your voice when you audio chat. In addition, they’re also comfortable to use for extended gaming sessions.
Are you still not convinced of your idea to use a headset and only one jack? Explore further.
Wireless headphones with a microphone with one jack offer incredible audio quality over headphones with a microphone with two jacks.
Dual-jack headphones with microphones will require connecting the microphone to the microphone input, and the information of the headphones and too many wires and connections, aren’t they? Are you using the cables to hinder the gaming session? One-jack headsets are simple to connect and are less bulky than dual-jack headphones.
The headphones with a microphone with only one jack are one Tip Ring Sleeve (TRRS) connectors, which can accommodate both mics and headphones and generate a lower impedance signal. In contrast, the traditional headphones with two jacks and a microphone include Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) Jacks that cannot provide mic-quality sound. However, they do an excellent job of allowing stereo sound.
Why Do People Use Single Jack Headsets?
There are many reasons some people choose to use headsets with a single jack, but ultimately, it usually is a matter of preference. Here are a few:
Since they are only one cable, single-jack headsets are less bulky. They also require less space on the desk, and they only have one line to manage.
The cable that connects your headset contains wires. They are susceptible and thought to be among the most fragile parts of your headset. Another benefit of having only one wire is that you need to look after one cable, not several.
Most consumer electronics, such as smartphones and laptops of the modern age, currently use 3.5mm Tip Ring Sleeve (TRRS) ports. These ports allow both output and input functions with a single cable, unlike Tip Ring Sleeve (TRS) ports that can only be used for output.
Since TRRS ports are now popular single-jack headsets are used with all devices easily.
TRRS jacks are identified by the three plastic rings visible on the connector. Learn more about the jacks in our complete guide to headphones and the plug.
Using Single-Jacked Headsets
Fortunately, modern PCs have two ports that are not explicitly designed for input or output. If you examine the ports for headphones, you’ll notice that one port only comes with one headset icon attached to it, and the other one is either equipped with the headset icon or a headset icon next to a microphone.
You can connect your headsets through only one jack on the second port to use it as an input and output. Laptops and MacBook’s typically come with a dual-purpose headset port that allows easy headset use.
You may need to modify specific settings for older computers or purchase an external splitter as they may have ports specific to both outputs and inputs.
Tweaking the Settings
If your microphone doesn’t work even though it has a dual-purpose jack,
- Click on Start
- Control Panel
- A pop-up will pop up. Click on Recording
You’ll see an array of devices. Please choose the one you’re using, and set it to your default.
If you cannot detect it, click on the Set up Microphone button. Windows will see all input devices that have been inserted.
After that, you can apply your modifications and try the device.
- Select the volume icon or type in sounding to the Finder
- Open Sound Preferences
- Go to your Input tab within the pop-up which opens.
Could you choose your device and set it to default?
If none of these suggested methods work, you may require replacing the headphone port or purchasing the splitter.
Using a single jack headset on PCs without splitters could take some effort or replacement in some cases, but it’s possible. Splitters are typically priced between $1-5, based on the model you’re purchasing, and are a bargain compared to the cost of repairs and effort.
How to use a Headset Mic with a PC using a Single Jack
Many older devices and computers have two different 3.5mm connectors for headphones and microphones. The majority of modern machines and computers have one 3.5mm port that can be used for microphones and headphones. If you own an older headset model with two different 3.5mm plugs, you could connect it to one port with an adapter. You can also connect a Bluetooth headset. This wikiHow shows users how to connect headsets and a headset microphone to a computer with one headphone microphone.
Method1_ Using an Adapter
- Buy the 3.5mm mic Y headset connector. Cables like this come with two female 3.5mm connectors and one 3.5mm male connector. It is possible to purchase one of these connectors online. They’re generally cheap, priced at less than $10. Check that using the 3.5mm connector you purchase is intended to connect headphones for audio and mic. Most 3.5mm connectors with Y connections are designed to join two different sets of headphones rather than a single pair of headphones and an audio microphone. If you prefer, you can buy the 3.5mm-to-USB adapter. This lets you connect a headset to the USB port in your PC. If the headset comes with two different plugs for the microphone and the headphones, purchase an adapter with audio-in and audio-out connectors.
- If, on the other hand, you own an audio device that has a single 3.5mm plug for headphones as well as a microphone, however, your laptop has headset jacks as well as a microphone, you can buy a 3.5mm splitter cable to divide the one 3.5mm input to two different outputs.
- The headphones should be connected via the jack for headphones on the connector Y. The Y connector will have two separate 3.5mm ports for the mic and headphones. The jack connected to the headphones might be colored green or sport an icon that looks like an earphone. Make sure you click your device’s 3.5mm headphones and plug them into the jack for headphones connected to the Y-connector.
- Connect the microphone plug to the microphone port on the connector’s Y. The mic jack on the Y connector might be colored red or pink or may sport an icon that looks like a microphone. Connect your headphones’ 3.5mm mic plug to the mic port on the connector Y.
- The Y connection should be connected to the computer’s headset, Jack. Locate the headphones connector on your laptop. The jack is typically located on the front or side if you’re using laptops. If you’re using a desktop computer, the 3.5mm headphone jack could be situated on the rear of the tower or in front. It connects both 3.5mm connectors on your headset to one headphone jack. If you’re using a 3.5mm-to-USB adapter, then connect the adapter to a USB port in your laptop instead.
Method2- Using a Bluetooth Headset
- Buy the Bluetooth headset. Bluetooth uses short-range radio frequencies to link electronic gadgets to various gadgets. Bluetooth headsets are wireless and can be connected to your PC. Bluetooth headset can be connected to your computer without wires. You can buy Bluetooth headsets at any retailer which sells electronics. They range in price between $20 and hundreds of dollars, based on the quality. If your headset isn’t Bluetooth compatible, you can buy a 3.5mm-to-Bluetooth adapter. If your headset comes with two different plugs for the microphone and the headphones, you must purchase an adapter with an extra jack to connect the microphone and the headphones.
- Make sure that your headset is fully charged. The Bluetooth device must have its battery to be recharged to function wirelessly. Most Bluetooth devices include a USB charging cable to charge your device. Then connect your USB charge cable to the Bluetooth headset and connect it to a USB charging wall outlet or USB port in your laptop. If you charge the Bluetooth device using the USB port connected to your computer, ensure that your computer is turned on. Your Bluetooth device might not be charged as fast when you set it from your computer as if you plug it into an outlet on the wall.
- Set your headset into the pairing phase. The way you perform this will differ between different headsets. In general, there is one button that you push and then hold. The headset may produce a sound or show blinking lights to signal to operate in pairing mode. Please read the user’s manual with your headset for instructions on setting it up in pairing mode.
- Link your headset with a Windows PC. Use the following steps to connect the Bluetooth headset to a Windows computer.
- Click on the Windows Start menu.
- Select the Settings/Gear icon.
- Click Devices
- Click Bluetooth as well as other devices in the menu on the left.
- Click the plus (+) icon next to “Add Bluetooth or other device.”
- Click Bluetooth to the right at the very top.
- Click to connect your Bluetooth headset.
- Connect your Bluetooth headset to a Mac. If you have a Mac, follow the steps to connect your Bluetooth device with a Mac.
- Click to open the Apple Icon in the menu bar at the top.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click Bluetooth.
- Click to turn Bluetooth on in case it’s not active.
- Click Connect next to connect your Bluetooth headset.
Method3- Selecting Your Audio Device on Windows 10
If you connect a headset to your audio connector, Windows will typically detect the audio device independently. However, if you use the USB connection or Bluetooth Bluetooth, you might have to select the audio device you want to use manually. If you do not hear any sound through your microphone or headphones, go to the Start menu located in the lower-left corner.
- Click on the Windows Start menu. Windows will typically detect the audio device independently if you connect headphones to your audio port. However, if you’re using the USB connection or Bluetooth Bluetooth, you might require a manual audio device selection. If you’re not receiving any audio from the microphone or headphones, go to the Start menu located in the lower-left corner.
- Go to the menu Settings. It’s located next to an icon that looks like a gear. It’s located to the left of the Windows Start menu.
- Click system features an icon that resembles an actual computer. It’s the first option on the Settings menu.
- Click to sound. It’s on the menu to the left. This menu lets you select the audio device you want to use.
- Choose your audio device. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the page to choose the audio output device you want to use. It could refer to your headphones, USB adapter, or the device’s input format (i.e., USB device) or be “Headphones.”
- Choose your headset’s mic. Use the drop-down menu below “Input” to select your headset microphone. It could include the brand name for your headset or its kind of input (i.e., USB), or it could simply read something similar to “USB Mic.”
Method 4- Selecting Your Audio Device on macOS
- Click the Apple Icon: It’s located in the upper-left part of your desktop. If your Mac can’t recognize your headset, follow these steps to select the audio device.
- Click System Preferences. It’s in the Apple Menu. Which will open the System Preferences menu.
- Select Sound. It is a symbol that looks like an audio speaker. Hit on the Sound icon to launch the Sound preferences menu.
- Choose on the output tab. It’s the second tab located high up in the Sound window. It displays the sound devices you have installed.
- Click on your headset. It may be in the name of the adapter or headset you are using or the audio connection that it is connected to (i.e., USB device).
- The input tab is the last tab on the right side of the Sound window. It displays the input devices.
- Select the headset microphone. It may be displayed next to your headset’s name, adapter’s name, or the input it connects to (i.e., USB device).
These quick and simple solutions can be a fantastic way to get your single-jack headset installed working on your PC without the need for an additional splitter.
Did any of the services mentioned above have any benefit for you?
What did you do to make your headset work with your computer?
So, here you are. Now, you can connect one jack headset on a PC without a splitter.
Before you decide to spend money on an electric splitter, it’s worth trying to save money.
If this does not work, it’s possible to opt for a splitter or fresh pair with dual jacks.
Numerous splitting tools are available that cost between $1 and $5. It should not be a significant issue in the end.